Monday, December 5, 2011

Stylish Blogger Award



I have been kindly given the Stylish Blogger Award by Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm!

I have seen this award on other people's blogs, and I'm thrilled to now have one of my own.  Thank you, Miss Laurie!

There are three rules for this award:
1) Thank the blogger who awarded you and link back to her (check)
2) List seven random facts about yourself
3) Choose five other stylish bloggers to award.

Seven random facts about me:
1) I just today rediscovered a gift card I had received at my birthday several months ago (and forgotten about)--I used  it to buy the Sense and Sensibility 1995 soundtrack, and I got free shipping! Hooray! "Those proud of keeping an orderly desk can never know the joy of finding something they thought irretrievably lost."
2) My eyes have no definitive color and are a mixture of blue, green, gray and hazel.
3) I hate cleaning bathrooms, but I greatly enjoy vacuuming.
4) I love Sherlock Holmes mysteries, P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves novels, and A. A. Milne's original Winnie the Pooh books.
5) I can wiggle my ears and push my glasses up on my nose without touching them with my hands. (I have well-developed facial muscles.  It pays to work out.) :)
6) My middle name is Irish, as is my last name. (My first name, unfortunately, is not.) I myself am Irish, German, Lithuanian and English, with a bit of Pennsylvania Dutch thrown into the mix.
7) I am not ashamed of liking children's movies, and adore Disney-Pixar's movie Up.  "That's South America.  It's like America... BUT SOUTH."

I tried to pick people who did not already have the Stylish Blogger Award, so I'm passing along this award to:
~Alexandra at Of Trims and Frills and Furbelows
~Anne-girl, my sister dear
~Elise at Ribbons of Light (not sure if she's been awarded this before, but the more the merrier, right?)
~Hayden at Story Girl
~Jemimah at Beautiful Blank Pages

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I shall put it up now.

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

You're very welcome Miss Dashwood! I'm so glad you enjoyed this award!

Loved reading you 7 facts!

A gift card you forgot about? Wow! Don't you love the S&S soundtrack? It's one of the best!

My eyes are similar to yours, just depends on what color I'm wearing and what light I'm in.

I've never read anything by P.G. Wodehouse, I've seen the older BBC Jeeves & Wooster TV series and really enjoyed that! I loved reading Sherlock Holmes in high school and Winnie the Pooh is always charming! "It all comes of not making front doors big enough!" haha :)

Wow! What a multi-talented face you have! I can only wink with one eye and I can't roll my tongue like the rest of my family can. Being able to push up your glasses without your hands must be very helpful, wish I could do that!

I love Irish names! Lithuanian, that's neat! The "Pennsylvania Dutch" were actually from Deutschland (Germany) so it's the same as German. My grandmother was from a "Pennsylvania Dutch" family.

'Up' is a very fun movie! My sister and I love watching Disney films together. Tangled is one of our favorites! :)

Jujube said...

I was awarded with this award before, and the post is up somewhere in my blog archives...but thanks, anyway, for re-awarding me!

I enjoyed reading your seven random facts. Your eyes must look amazing with all those mixture of colors! Winnie the Pooh books are so enjoyable to read over and over again. And, wow! You have an interesting mix of "bloods."

Miss Dashwood said...

Miss Laurie,
I know, I know... I sent out thank-you notes immediately after my birthday, stuck the gift card in with a pile of papers on my desk and promptly forgot about it. But now, it's like receiving it all over again! Oh, I do LOVE the S&S soundtrack. I only wish the CD had Kate Winslet's original singing... alas.

My eyes depend on what I'm wearing too. :) Tongue rolling is a recessive trait, so if even though your parents can both do it, it's understandable that you can't. (haha, last year in biology I had to study a lot of genetic traits including tongue rolling!)

Love, love, love Winnie the Pooh. A. A. Milne was an out-and-out genius, IMHO. :) You must read some of P. G. Wodehouse's books as soon as possible! Apart from some "mild" British language, they are practically perfect in every way, and Jeeves is... well, inimitable!

About PA Dutch... I separated the two in my list because I was referring to culture rather than ethnicity. The Pennsylvania Dutch as a people group comprise the Amish, Mennonite, Hutterite and Brethren communities--more commonly referred to as Plain People. So when I said that I have both Dutch and German blood, I know it's pretty much the same, but the cultures are different... am I making any sense? :P Living in a largely Amish and Mennonite community (though my family doesn't belong to either) has taught me a lot about the different groups.

Whew! long comment!

Miss Dashwood said...

Jemimah,
You're welcome! Sorry I didn't realize you had already been awarded. Two are better than one, though, right? :) I'll have to look for that post in your archives--I'm interested to read your 7 facts!

Alexandra said...

Thank you for the award! I'll get it up ASAP! Love tags. :-)

Oooh, PG Wodehouse? Have you seen the television series from the nineties with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry? My absolute favorites!!! There's a few episodes on YouTube, I think...

Anyway! Thank you!!!

Oh, and forgotten gift cards are always nice things to find. :) And I adore Up.

Miss Dashwood said...

Alexandra,
You're welcome, and I'm looking forward to your answers. :)
My library actually has all the seasons of "Jeeves and Wooster" on DVD. Maybe I'll check one out one of these days... I did see a clip from one of the episodes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBdCl_2ZnpA) which amused me immensely.
So nice to find another Up fan! :)

Hayden said...

Oh ,thank you!
I'll get right on it to answering the questions and fulfilling my "Stylish Blogger" duty :)

Ella said...

Congrats!