Thursday, October 27, 2011

Quote Of The Week 4


Jack Worthing: I am sick to death of cleverness. Everybody is clever nowadays. You can't go anywhere without meeting clever people. The thing has become an absolute public nuisance. I wish to goodness we still had a few fools left.
Algernon Moncreiff: We have.
Jack Worthing: I should extremely like to meet them. What do they talk about?
Algernon Moncreiff: The fools? Oh, about the clever people, of course.
Jack Worthing: What fools!

~The Importance of Being Earnest (1952)

Note: I do apologize for the picture that showed up on here! This is what happens when you link from the web--sigh. I am not really sure what happened--maybe I put the address in wrong. Weird. Anyway, I've edited it to put the real picture in.

5 comments:

Miss Dashwood said...

The picture that initially showed up, btw, was a full-color shot of a roast chicken. Um. What?

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

*Giggle*
The Importance of Being Earnest is one of my favorites, it's so witty! I don't remember this older version but I think I might have seen it once. My favorite is the newer version. Either way this play is downright funny! :)

Alexandra said...

I also really like the newer version, I haven't seen this one...need to check it out! :-)

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog, I *love* comments and love meeting new people! Your blog is absolutely lovely and I am really enjoying reading through it! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Miss Dashwood said...

I haven't seen the newer version because I read that there were some fast-forward-worthy scenes--the old one is completely clean and absolutely hilarious. So that's the one I like.
Although I'm intrigued by the idea of Colin Firth as Jack...
Thank you for your comments, Alexandra! I love love love your blog, too--currently making my way through the archives. (The Think of Me dress is. just. amazing.)

Hayden said...

Love this play!!! This movie is the only version I've seen, but I do want to see the newer one (as soon as we can get clearplay...)